Job Description Summary
The controller position is accountable for the accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. The Controller must have solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills. Candidates should possess knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Planning, directing and coordinating all accounting operational functions
- Managing the accumulation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting business results in a timely manner
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Coordinating activities of external auditors
- Providing management with information vital to the decision-making process
- Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes, policies and procedures
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, anticipating future legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports, and advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains financial staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains financial staff job results by coaching, counseling, and managing employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
- Ensure that Accounts Payable are paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable
- Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly
- Ensure that payroll is processed in a timely manner
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
- Issue and communicate timely and complete financial statements
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide for a system of management cost reports
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Managing processes
- Financial software
- Developing standards
- Auditing, accounting, and corporate finance
- Tracking budget expenses
- Financial skills
- Analyzing information
- Developing budgets
- Performance management
Minimum 7-10 years’ experience in accounting/finance
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA preferred but not required
- Previous experience in construction accounting is highly valued
All Accounting Staff
Valley Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer